This is a useful student-led questioning strategy that requires students to discuss and refine their understanding of a concept, problem or topic in order to reach a judgement. Consensus may be used in preparation for work on a exam question or extended writing.
- Give groups of students a piece of flipchart paper with a large circle in the middle;;
- Pose the big question to the class and each student individually writes their own thoughts outside the circle;
- Students discuss their thoughts and whenever agreement is reached the idea is written in the circle;
- Contradictory statements or complex evidence can be provided for more able students and definitions and scaffolding for less able students;
- Students share their consensus thoughts with other groups of students.